What is Hair Loss?
On average, humans lose around 50-100 hairs per day while growing hair at the same time to replace the loss. When new hair does not replace this hair that falls out, it is known as hair loss.
Hair loss typically occurs due to a number of factors, such as heredity (family history) and medical conditions. It is a common condition for both men and women that often happens with ageing and is easily treatable with new and improved techniques and treatments.
What are the types of Hair Loss and common causes in Singapore?
The most common types and causes of hair loss include:
- Hereditary condition - Also known as androgenic alopecia, male-pattern baldness and female-pattern baldness
- Hormone irregularity and changes due to pregnancy, childbirth, menopause and thyroid issues
- Medical and immune-related conditions such as alopecia areata, scalp infections such as ringworm
- Radiation therapy
- Excessive hair styling
What are the common symptoms of Hair Loss in Singapore?
The symptoms of hair loss include:
- Receding hairline
- Bald spots
- Patchy and itchy spots on the scalp
- Gradual thinning of the hair
- Scaling on the scalp (ringworm)
- Excessive hair fall
What are the risk factors for Hair Loss?
There are a number of factors that increase the risk of hair loss in an individual. These include, but are not limited to:
- Family history of hair loss and balding
- Certain medical and hormonal conditions
- Weight loss, heavy bleeding during menstrual cycle